1) Tell us something about yourself that your fans may not know.
A: I’m half-Japanese! People can usually tell that I’m mixed, but don’t know exactly what with. I’m actually hoping to travel to Japan with my family for the first time this winter!
2) How did you get into making music?
A: When I was in 8th grade, I discovered Taylor Swift and realized I could write my own songs. That’s when I started up guitar lessons and songwriting, which led me to pursue a music major in college!
3) You recently released your single 'Downplay.' How did the idea for the song come about?
A: I had recently gone through a breakup and was on a writing trip in LA. During my final session, my cowriter Brooke Jenkins suggested the title “Downplay” and I was immediately sold, as I had just seen him out unexpectedly and had to downplay the situation.
4) How would you describe your music style?
A: Honest, intentional pop!
5) What is your creative process like?
A: The song has to be about something real and true to me, or I won’t cut it. Once I fall in love with a song, I determine how I’m going to share it visually to the world. I wanted to stay within the world of bright and fun, but hone it back with more sophistication. I found the pink house in the promo photos and then put together my outfit based on that retro chic vibe, and then location scouted for the music video with the same mindset. It all came together pretty organically!
6) How do you feel the Internet has impacted the music business?
A: The internet has fueled the saturation. With the ease of access to music tools, so many more people are chasing the dream now.
7) If you could change anything about the industry, what would it be?
A: The saturation. It’s hard to get people to take a first listen when there are so many options.
8) If you could have one feature for the rest of your career, who would it be?
A: Ariana Grande - she has one of the best voices in pop in my opinion.
Follow Brooke Alexx:
Instagram - @brookealexx
Twitter - @brookealexx
Facebook - @brookealexx