1) Tell us something about yourself that your fans may not know.
A: I didn’t start eating seafood (besides shrimp) for real until I was 16.
2) How did you first get into rapping?
A: My older brother introduced the whole family to rapping, and actually rapped himself. So it started from there and grew into my own thing.
3) How did you come up with your stage name femdot.?
A: It's actually a family nickname, it came around the time of the S.Carter Reebok era.
4) How has being from Chicago influenced your style of music, if any?
A: Everything I speak on, is reflection of the environment I am in and that I grew up in. From my dialect to my content it is all rooted very much in the Chicago experience.
5) You recently released your project '94 Camry Music.' Where did the inspiration from the project come from?
A: 94 Camry Music is comes directly from the feelings I felt, and the experiences I had in my first car. I grew up so much through that car and this project allowed me to reflect on that.
6) Who were some of your favourite artists growing up?
A: Jay-Z, Nas, BIG, Big L, Bump J, Tribe, Early Drake, Cole, and Kendrick, Wayne, Gucci, Jodeci, SWV, Ye, Lupe. I went through a lot of phases. I had a Blog Era phase Haha. I just engulfed myself in knowing as much music as possible.
7) Which rappers, if any, have influenced your rapping style?
A: Hov, Cole, Phife, Kendrick. I used to do a lot of “oops I mean” Wayne shit early on, but I think I really sound like no one else but myself at this point.
8) If you could only have one artist do a feature for you, who would you want it to be?
A: Missy Elliott.
9) What was the first album you purchased? How did you get it?
A: First album I owned was reasonable doubt, it was given to me from my brother. But to be honest I really grew up in the torrent, lime wire, hulksharae era. So I had literally every album you could think of two weeks early, had all the leaks, but didn’t ACTUALLY purchase an album until I think Magna Carta, or Nothing Was The Same.
10) Are you a sports fan? If so, which sport is your favourite to watch and who's your favourite team?
A: I'm a huge Sports fan. Basketball is my favorite sport. Kawhi is my favorite ball player and has been since Kobe retired. Bulls fan of course, but I do like the spurs and wherever Kawhi goes haha, I watch basketball all the time. College, high school doesn’t matter.
11) Do you see a connection between artists and athletes/music and sports? If so, why do you believe they're so intertwined?
A: Absolutely, rappers want to be ball players and ball players want to be rappers. It’s all the same the critiques - the performances, the spotlight, the politics. Since most sports in American are dominated by Black athletes, hip hop specifically speaks for the culture that these guys relate to.
12) What's next for femdot.? What can we expect for the rest of 2019 and heading into 2020?
A: Next up, more 94CM content and just keeping momentum coming. More music next year too, but we are just going to keep building.
Twitter - @femdotdotcom
Facebook - @femdotmusic
Instagram - @femdotdotcom
Spotify - @femdot